15 Days Tour - "Thailand, Laos & Vietnam"
3 Countries - 1 Million Impressions
We start this exotic tour from Chiang Mai to the Mekong River where we cross into Laos and further to Northern Vietnam. We explore the spectacular region of Sapa and see the enormous rice terraces on the way to Nghia Lo. Some of the most spectacular riding you can imagine. We continue to Ninh Binh to explore some of the giant caves.
In Laos we visit the Plain of Jars and Luang Prabang, an UNESCO World Heritage Site before returning to Thailand.
AT A GLANCE
|START / FINISH:||Chiang Mai|
|NEAREST AIRPORT:||Chiang Mai International Airport|
|DURATION:||15 days, 13 days riding|
|ROUTE:||Total distance: approximately 3,200 km's (2,000 miles)|
|DAILY ROUTE:||Daily distance: 230 to 300 km’s (143 to 186 miles)|
|ACCOMMODATIONS:||Carefully selected quality hotels and resorts with leisure facilities|
|REST DAY:||Sapa (Vietnam)|
|HIGHLIGHTS:||Mekong River, incredible Mountain Riding in Laos and Vietnam, Sapa, Rice Terraces in Nghia Lo, Limestone Caves in Ninh Binh, Plain of Jars, Luang Prabang (World Heritage Site)|
|1 DAY||Arrive in Chiang Mai|
|2 DAY||Chiang Mai - Huay Xai||300 km||186 miles|
|3 DAY||Huay Xai - Oudomxai||310 km||193 miles|
|4 DAY||Oudomxai - Dien Bien Phu||230 km||143 miles|
|5 DAY||Dien Bien Phu - Sapa||300 km||186 miles|
|6 DAY||Sapa (Rest Day)|
|7 DAY||Sapa - Nghia Lo||245 km||152 miles|
|8 DAY||Nghia Lo - Ninh Binh||300 km||186 miles|
|9 DAY||Ninh Binh - Phu Mat||250 km||155 miles|
|10 DAY||Phu Mat - Phonsavan||270 km||168 miles|
|11 DAY||Phonsavan - Luang Prabang||265 km||165 miles|
|12 DAY||Luang Prabang - Pakbeng||280 km||174 miles|
|13 DAY||Pakbeng - Chiang Khong||200 km||124 miles|
|14 DAY||Chiang Khong - Chiang Mai||250 km||155 miles|
|15 DAY||Departure Chiang Mai|
DAY BY DAY
(B/L/D) = (Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner)
1. Day / Chiang Mai (-/-/D)
Upon arrival we will meet you at the airport and drive you to the hotel. At 3 pm we meet for a welcome briefing, answer any questions you might have and motorcycle hand over at the hotel. Please plan your arrival to Chiang Mai accordingly. You will stay overnight in Chiang Mai.
2. Day / Chiang Mai – Chiang Khong – Huay Xai (B/L/D)
In the morning we start our adventure. We ride in eastern direction, passing the Doi Luang National Park. The first part will be on the main road. In the afternoon we ride along the magic Mekong River. We will meet this river often during our tour. In the afternoon we arrive in Chiang Khong, where we cross the Thai – Lao Friendship Bridge. The immigration- and customs procedures are always an experience. It simply just takes time, so relax, be patient and sooner or later we are in another country, LAOS! We stay for this first night in Huay Xai, on the Laos side of the Mekong River.
3. Day / Huay Xai - Oudomxai (B/L/D)
Don’t forget! In Laos we have to drive on the right side of the road! We have a lunch in Luang Namtha and then continue the remaining stretch to Oudomxai. The road is quite good and the scenery is great as we are passing through a couple of villages, where is time to stop and “mingle” with the locals. The first stretch of today to Luang Namtha is the main transit road beterrn Thailand and China and normally has a bit more traffic. After lunch the road is more provincial, with plenty of cures and villages and not much traffic. Overnight in Oudomxai.
4. Day / Oudomxai – Dien Bien Phu (B/L/D)
We continue in eastern direction on low traffic density provincial roads to the Vietnamese border. First stretch we ride along the Nam Phak River, enjoy the scenery. At Pak Nam Noy we start climbing up the mountains towards the Vietnam border. This is a remote area of Laos and the scenery is spectacular. Our Vietnamese guide will wait for us the at Tay Trang border crossing and together we will ride to Dien Bien Phu. We can visit the Dien Bien Phu Museum, the notorious hill A-1 battlefield, the former French command post and a captured tank. Overnight in Dien Bien Phu.
5. Day /Dien Bien Phu – Sapa (B/L/D)
After an early breakfast we depart follow the NR12 to Muong Lay, then head up to Taphin plateau to conquer a scenic and stunning road through the Sin Ho Valley. We stop at the Sin Ho Market, which is more lively and crowded if we arrive early. We continue this less travelled road until Lai Chau and drive the winding road to Sapa with a photo stop at the O Qui Ho pass at 2005 meter from were we have a spectacular view of Phan Xia Pang, 3143 meters, Vietnam’s and South East Asia highest mountain. We arrive in Sapa in the later afternoon and we will stay for next two nights here.
6. Day / Sapa (B/-/-)
Today is a rest day. Sapa is mountainous town in Northwestern Vietnam, blessed with a cool climate throughout the year. The Hoàng Liên mountain range dominates the area with a dramatic backdrop.
There are many things to do in Sapa. You can go for an optional ride in the area or you simply chill out. For a remote small town in northern Vietnam’s mountains, Sapa is surprisingly modern. It offers a great variety of gastronomic options – from local street food and Vietnamese specialties to high quality (Italian) restaurants and wine bars. Not to mention the many local cafes that serve super robust Vietnamese coffee. If you like, take the cabin up to the top of Phan Xia Pang or simply just stroll around in the town. Overnight in Sapa.
7. Day /Sapa – Nghia Lo (B/L/D)
With newly “charged batteries” our journey takes us in southern direction. We have an easy ride for the on asphalted mountainous roads to Nghia Lo. During the whole day we pass through endless villages and rice fields. There are countless photo stops and possibilities to “mingle with the locals”. The closer we get to Nghia Lo the more spectacular the landscape becomes, especially the valleys with their endless rice terraces. The road is most scenic between Than Uyen to Nghia Lo. We stop at a monument at the elevation of 1570 meters and climb up to a lookout. The view of the rice paddies is the best from up here. Overnight in Nghia Lo.
8. Day /Nghia Lo – Ninh Binh (B/L/D)
Today our journey leads us south to the Ninh Binh province. We are by passing Hanoi, the capital of Vietnam to avoid the crazy traffic. We arrive at Tam Coc, a small town, full of guest houses, coffee shops, restaurants, and souvenir shops etc. It was once the ancient capital of Vietnam in the 10th century. We can visit diverse temples of two dynasties, the Dinh and Le dynasty, each with their unique architecture. We can also explore the local area by bicycle in the afternoon. Overnight in Ninh Binh.
9. Day /Ninh Binh – Pu Mat (B/L/D)
In the morning we board sampan boats (2 person share one boat) and drift down the river among the villages and see beautiful mountains and lush rice fields. We will pass 3 caves (“Hang Ca”, “Hang Hai” and “Hang Ba”). Afterwards we continue on our motorbikes to Pu Mat. We follow the Ho Chi Minh Trail and the Ca (big) river and we will arrive in Con Cuong town in the Nghe An province. On the way we have the chance to see sun flower fields. Most of today’s route is on asphalt and an easy going ride. Overnight in Con Cuong.
10. Day / Pu Mat – Nam Can - Phonsavan (B/L/D)
Today we continue to the Nam Can border gate and check out to Laos. The last part of our riding in Vietnam passes through endless villages and just before the border we climb up the mountain range creating the natural border between Vietnam and Laos. We better be there on time. At 11:30 the immigration office will take their rather long lunch break. After the immigration process we ride in direction to Phonsavan. Once back in Laos we can notice the change in landscape and the fewer villages. We stay overnight in Phonsawan.
11. Day / Phonsavan – Luang Prabang (B/L/D)
Phonsavan is home to the famous “Plain of Jars”, a megalithic archeological site that we will visit in the morning. Then we will jump straight back to the twisties, winding our way northwest towards Luang Prabang. Some stunning mountain trails give way to a wide open track through the beautiful countryside with remote villages along the way. Luang Prabang with its gleaming temple roofs, fading French architecture and stunning mountain backdrop has been claimed by the UNESCO to be ‘the best preserved city in South East Asia’. In the evening we will enjoy our dinner by the Mekong River. You should not miss to visit the night market after dinner. We stay overnight in Luang Prabang.
12. Day / Luang Prabang - Pakbeng (B/L/D)
After waking up in the cool air to the spectacular views of the Mekong, we start riding in southern direction to Xayaburi. The road heralds the start of a 170 km wild stretch of highway along steep ridges and around hairpin bends, with headlong views of rugged valleys and remote mountains as far as the eye can see. From Xayaburi we take the narrow and winding local road passing a couple of remote villages to Hongsa were we enjoy lunch. Last part of the day we ride to Pakbeng, located by the Mekong River. Pakbeng is a transit point for mainly back packers traveling by boat on the Mekong river between Luang Prabang and Huay Xai. Overnight in Pakbeng.
13. Day / Pakbeng – Chiang Khong (B/L/D)
Today is our last day in Laos and we have two options at our disposal. Depending on the current road condition we can take the mostly unpaved 110 km stretch over the mountains to Huay Xai or load our motorcycles on a long tail river boat and cover the distance upstream the Mekong River to Huay Xai. Whatever the current conditions will permit, it will be a spectacular day. Once in Huay Xai we cross over the friend ship bridge into Thailand and. Overnight at the Mekong river at Chiang Khong.
14. Day / Chiang Khong – Chiang Mai (B/L/D)
Final stretch of this ride we slowly make our way back to Chaing Mai. We take the provincial back roads to Mae Lao were we join the national road 118 with its curves towards our final destination of the day. On our way we stop at Chiang Rai hot springs were you can dip your toes in the hot water. Once back in Chiang Mai we stop at Bike Tour Asia service center were we leave our motorcycles and transfer to the hotel and get ready for the farewell party. Overnight in Chiang Mai.
15. Day / Chiang Mai Departure (B/-/-)
Transfer to Chiang Mai International Airport.
Remark: All of the indicated times and Km are approximately.
|Vehicle||Single Rider||Rider and pillion||Single Room|
|BMW||(sharing room)||(sharing room)||Suppl.|
(all prices are in USD)
- A deposit of USD 1,000,- per rider and USD 1,500,- per rider and pillion is payable upon booking. Rest payment is due latest 60 days before departure
- The above prices are based for a group of 5 riders. If you come with less than 5 riders please contact us for a price offer
- The price for a single rider in a sharing room requires another single rider booking with the same request. If there is no other request for room sharing we will have to charge you the single room supplement
- Prices include 7% VAT
- The tour starts and ends at Bike Tour Asia Service Center ( Service Center Gmaps)
Due to the lengths of your International flight and the time difference you may have to leave your country a day earlier, subsequently you will arrive one day later back home. Please book your flights accordingly!
Route itinerary and destination may be subject to change in case of force majeure, weather conditions, road conditions and any other significant circumstances.
We are pleased to assist you with the booking of additional nights in Chiang Mai or any other services in connection with the tour! Please let us know.WHAT IS INCLUDED / NOT INCLUDED
Included in the tour price
- Transfers in Chiang Mai
- 14 overnights at carefully selected quality hotels and resorts with leisure facilities
- Breakfast every day
- 12 lunches
- 13 dinners
- Water, soft drinks and coffee / tea in connection with the meals
- Fuel during the whole tour
- Late model of a BMW GS Motorcycle as per your choice with unlimited mileage
- Third Party liability insurance and a motorcycle damage coverage (details see under “Insurance”)
- Road captain on a motorcycle leading the group
- Tour guide in a support van
- Support van for luggage transportation (1 piece per person), drinks and space for a guests (upon prior request)
- Local Lao and Vietnamese Tour Guide
- Custom Declaration / Laos and Vietnam permits, documentation, custom bonds and administration
- Entrance fees to National Parks and Historical Sites
- Tour information package including riding and safety tips, details about the hotels, the route and the sight
- Road Maps
- Bike Tour Asia T-Shirt
- Services not mentioned as included
- Other meals than stated
- Alcoholic beverages
- Optional motorcycle loss/damage waiver (please see details under "Insurance")
- Visa for Laos and Vietnam (passport valid for min. 6 months, a passport photos.) Please note that you need two visas for Laos since and one visa for Vietnam. Costs and visa process depending on your nationality. For more information please contact us
- Travel insurance (cover against medical expenses, including repatriation, in the event of an accident or illness). We recommend to buy an travel insurance in your home country
MOTORCYCLE DAMAGE & LOSS COVERAGE / WAIVER / TRAVEL ACCIDENT INSURANCE
A security deposit according to the below list is to be presented through electronic blocking of funds on your credit card (Mastercard/Visa) or in cash upon hand-over of the motorcycle. The full amount will be electronically unblocked on your credit card or cash refunded after the tour (if no damage or loss of the motorcycle occurred). For more details, please see Terms & Conditions.
|All in USD||Security deposit||Daily waiver premium / outside Thailand|
- Included for riding in Thailand is a motorcycle damage & loss coverage with a maximum deductible amount up to the level of the security deposit (according the motorcycle type) and no daily waiver premium applicable.
- For riding outside of Thailand Bike Tour Asia offers an optional daily damage & loss waiver for the motorcycle, based on the above listed daily waiver premiums, which will limit the maximum deductible amount up to the level of the security deposit in case of damage or loss to the motorcycle while riding outside Thailand. Without purchasing the optional waiver, your security deposit amount must be equal to the full value of the motorcycle.
- A Travel Accident Insurance is included for BTA Guided Tours only and as shown below.
Travel Accident Insurance, by AXA Insurance Company, is included in all BTA Guided Tour prices.
Limit of Liability: (All in USD)
|Loss of Life, Sight, Dismemberment, Total Permanent Disability||30,000|
|Accidental Medical Expenses||15,000|
Underlying coverage is in Thai Baht’s and converted into USD using exchange rate 1 USD = 32 Baht
|1 - 15 October 2018 (motorbikes still available)|
This tour is also open for your own private group. Please choose your desired dates - all year round and come with your friends, club or company (subject to motorcycle availability).